Gameplay

480 replies to this topic

#1 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

There's an issue that we've noticed with a certain "unit" claiming Davion loyalty constantly attacking Steiner worlds.

They are a relatively new unit (not on any previously posted unit lists), and the members that we've been able to search on this forum to attempt to find forum profiles for, don't appear to exist.

Before I name and shame, I want to know what PGI thinks of this sort of activity, the creation and use of alt accounts to have one faction attack an allied faction?

Is this a valid tactic?

#2 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Because these dudes on the internet don't like being told what to do by other holier-than-thou dudes on the internet, they clearly must be sock accounts and griefers and should be banned.

#3 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

I guess nobody here believes in espionage. Shame. At least it keeps things interesting.

#4 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 20 January 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

There's an issue that we've noticed with a certain "unit" claiming Davion loyalty constantly attacking Steiner worlds.

They are a relatively new unit (not on any previously posted unit lists), and the members that we've been able to search on this forum to attempt to find forum profiles for, don't appear to exist.

Before I name and shame, I want to know what PGI thinks of this sort of activity, the creation and use of alt accounts to have one faction attack an allied faction?

Is this a valid tactic?

Alt accounts are totally legal.

#5 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

Didn't we have a rogue Steiner unit come at us during the Christmas Ceasefire?

#6 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 January 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

Alt accounts are totally legal.
If the ONLY purpose is to try and destroy cease fires/alliances, you're saying it's legal...

View PostTarogato, on 20 January 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

I guess nobody here believes in espionage. Shame. At least it keeps things interesting.
I find it interesting some of the folks who like this statement...

Anyway, I suppose if you can't win through battle your next option is to cause havoc in an attempt to give your true faction a break...

#7 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 20 January 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

If the ONLY purpose is to try and destroy cease fires/alliances, you're saying it's legal...

He's not wrong.

#8 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 January 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

He's not wrong.
Again, if you're not going to play WITH the faction and its interests you align your 'alt account', and in fact play completely counter to it, you think that's a valid tactic?

#9 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 20 January 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

Again, if you're not going to play WITH the faction and its interests you align your 'alt account', and in fact play completely counter to it, you think that's a valid tactic?

Sure it is. Are saying I can't be a part of a merc unit fighting for kurita and a merc unit fighting for ghost bear? What is the point of an alt if you have to fight for the same faction with both?

#10 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 20 January 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

You're so sure they're alt accounts and not just dudes who don't want your koolaid.

#11 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 January 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Sure it is. Are saying I can't be a part of a merc unit fighting for kurita and a merc unit fighting for ghost bear? What is the point of an alt if you have to fight for the same faction with both?
What I'm asking is that when you're playing your Ghost Bear merc unit, and all the rest of the Ghost Bear faction have agreed to a cease fire with Clan Wolf (just for example), and then your Ghost Bear merc unit, comprised of alts, continuously attacks Clan Wolf for the sole purpose of destroying that cease fire, you're saying that's a valid tactic?

I just want to get this straight. Davion is arguably THE largest faction currently in the game and we have a lot of players with the potential to setup ALT accounts and if what you're suggesting is true, then let's a lot Davions make ALT Marik accounts, and then proceed to do nothing but attack the Liao worlds in an effort to break the Marik/Liao cease fire.

You're saying your fine with that kind of tactic being utilized.

#12 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 January 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

You're so sure they're alt accounts and not just dudes who don't want your koolaid.

honestly, it's very possible these are fake accounts made for easy farming. It's typical in these sort of games..and it was just matter of time when something like this will be happening .. but without proof we can just ..guess..

#13 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 January 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

My investigations pretty much rule out them being anything else BUT alt accounts.

Anyway, just the logic of it alone: Your chose Davion faction, but ignore multiple requests to stop attacking an aligned faction to get on board with the goals of the vast majority...

Also on accounts where most can't be traced to their original owners, or who have had name changes to obscure the profile history...

#14 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

View Postmania3c, on 20 January 2015 - 09:59 PM, said:

honestly, it's very possible these are fake accounts made for easy farming. It's typical in these sort of games..and it was just matter of time when something like this will be happening .. but without proof we can just ..guess..

It only takes a quick glance at the individual faction forums to see plenty of examples of legitimate units getting fed up with being told what to do by high councils and just going off attacking people at random.

The attacks could be perpetrated by players who have decided to go through the hassle of creating alt accounts, grinding millions upon millions of c-bills to buy, master, and module a stable of mechs, and spend real money on MC for mech bays, solely to screw with other people on the internet. Or it could just be dudes playing the game and choosing to ignore e-warlords trying to dictate what they can and can't do in a video game. Occam's razor.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 20 January 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#15 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:11 PM

@Vlad;

No, they're smurfs made just to cause issues. All brand new with recently farmed up gear playing with pretty advanced tactics. They're experienced players in alt accounts trying to make drama.

It's not about 'drinking the cool-aid'. If someone doesn't want to stick with their factions overall tactical approach in CW they don't have to - at least have the courtesy to be honest that your goal is to sabotage the faction or their allies. Not like anyone can do anything about it.

Let's be clear though - that's exactly what it is. It's not just 'going your own way'. It's sabotaging your faction in CW. Going off against what the rest of your faction is doing is every bit as 'helpful' as being the 1 or 2 pugs who run out river with no ECM while the rest of their team goes road. You're just putting your team at a disadvantage.

Just like in group/pug queue, the team that goes with a plan and works together has a big advantage. The solo rambos are wasted resources and a detriment to their team. Same is true in CW. You should know that being in CSJ right now; they are winning as much by solid coordination as anything else.

#16 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

There's a difference between something being a goal and something being a perceived side effect, outside of your control. I don't control what other units do. I'm okay with that.

CSJ is currently winning because they're sitting on an extreme excess of active, skilled merc units and their only attack lanes are Ghost Bear and Kurita, the latter of which is only just starting to get real 12-mans going on some of their borders each night.

Coordination at the game level is awesome. I love it. I will gladly roll with the plans. People telling me what planets I can and can't attack? No thanks. Using CSJ as an example, I'll attack Kurita first because it's easier not to make waves, but when the planet hits 100%, the opposing queue drops to zero, and the only other CW options are either attacking CGB (ceasefire) or sitting for 20+ minutes in a 24/60+ defense queue for the falcons, I'll attack CGB. It's not because I give a crap about griefing CSJ. I have friends in CSJ, they're cool peeps. But I want to play CW, so I'll play CW.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 20 January 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#17 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

To be fair, we were making progress with a planet a day (or close to it) in DCMS space before QQ, Remnant and 228 arrived. Quite the embarrassment of riches now though.

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 20 January 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#18 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 20 January 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

What I'm asking is that when you're playing your Ghost Bear merc unit, and all the rest of the Ghost Bear faction have agreed to a cease fire with Clan Wolf (just for example), and then your Ghost Bear merc unit, comprised of alts, continuously attacks Clan Wolf for the sole purpose of destroying that cease fire, you're saying that's a valid tactic?

I just want to get this straight. Davion is arguably THE largest faction currently in the game and we have a lot of players with the potential to setup ALT accounts and if what you're suggesting is true, then let's a lot Davions make ALT Marik accounts, and then proceed to do nothing but attack the Liao worlds in an effort to break the Marik/Liao cease fire.

You're saying your fine with that kind of tactic being utilized.

If it happens, it happens. Officially PGI doesn't respect all the 'gentlemen's agreements' that the units make.

#19 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 20 January 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

To be fair, we were making progress with a planet a day (or close to it) in DCMS space before QQ, Remnant and 228 arrived. Quite the embarrassment of riches now though.

Oh for sure. CSJ's house units are solid. I'm just saying it's got a bit overstacked at the moment, planets are flipping to 100% way before ceasefire and queues are flooded on this side. Even project unity is only delaying the issue, as we had more than 3x as many defenders as attackers on some clan worlds tonight. It was impossible to get a game.

#20 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 January 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

If it happens, it happens. Officially PGI doesn't respect all the 'gentlemen's agreements' that the units make.
The issue is that there's no recourse that can be taken against these 'rogue' individuals who decide to go with an 'F the majority' attitude.

Given how easy it is to change a character name in this game (a simple email request and X number of days later, new identity) it can be problematic for faction viability...

But hey, if you're saying it's ok to do this intentionally, Davions got a LOT of members who might think a shortcut to the back of Liao territory might just be the ticket...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users